I've been blogging this show since 2008 on my personal painting blog and decided 2011 is the year to have an additional blog dedicated to the art show and become a "dualing Piccolo blogger"! This second blog also gives me the opportunity to share insights and impressions from other art show "insiders"! Join me up front (and behind the scenes) as the 2011 show shapes up with fine art, occasional guest contributors, on the ground interviews and who knows what else creativity run rampant will surprise us with! Comments are open but moderated. Think before you write!


Thursday, June 2, 2011

Piccolo Spoleto Outdoor Art Exhibit - Day 7 - June 2, 1010 GUEST POST by Steve Jacobs

 Guest Post by Artist Steve Jacobs 
 as a PSOAE First Time Exhibitor

"Black & White" by Steve Jacobs




A First-Timer's Reflections a Week into the Show

For many years now I have been going to outdoor art shows and festivals, envying all the artists with their artworks on display. It has been such an inspiration, viewing such an endless variety of styles. I wondered what it would be like to be a part of this celebration of creativity, and then for the first time ever, I got the chance when I was juried in to the 2011 Piccolo Spoleto Art show in Marion Square. Wow!!
There were so many questions of how best to prepare. I knew I didn’t want to purchase a tent or screens and so would rent or borrow them. I felt I had enough inventory. I could figure out prices so as to have a good range for customers.
Ah…, so I also needed a retail license from the state for sales tax, and a business license from the city. So many things to do! Name tags for the artwork; more business and rack cards. I paid my show fee, rented a tent, set up my charge card payment system, and got my guest book ready. A lotto system assigning tent spaces was set up, and I was one of the lucky ones with shade. After the tent was set up, the artwork was hung; I was ready for customers.
I expected the process to be a lot of work, which it was, but I certainly feel it was worth it. In the few days following the opening of the show, I have had a few small sales, and I’m discovering that it is wonderful to be here, relaxing for a while, watching all the people, listening to their comments and seeing their reactions to my artwork. 

No comments:

Post a Comment