I've been blogging this show since 2008 on my personal painting blog and decided 2011 is the year to have an additional blog dedicated to the art show and become a "dualing Piccolo blogger"! This second blog also gives me the opportunity to share insights and impressions from other art show "insiders"! Join me up front (and behind the scenes) as the 2011 show shapes up with fine art, occasional guest contributors, on the ground interviews and who knows what else creativity run rampant will surprise us with! Comments are open but moderated. Think before you write!


Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Piccolo Spoleto Outdoor Art Exhibit - Day 13 - June 8, 1010 GUEST POST by K.C. Collins

My 3-Step Guide to Being Positive at Art Shows



by Artist K.C. Collins 
First Place Award Winner

"Please Don't Go" by K.C. Collins


1. Start with reasonable expectations! My goal at every art show is to sell one painting. Anything more than that, and I'm ecstatic. Not going to lie, I've been to shows where I didn't sell a thing, and it felt like the only people walking around were the other artists (with forlorn looks on their faces). In situations like this, I look for the positive. Yes, I drove eight hours, forked out money for gas, hotels, food, show fees... Buuut did I meet interesting people? Did I network and get potential business for the future? I've participated in shows where sales were low... but in following weeks I had a lot of follow up sales and commissions from people who took business cards. You never know...
2. Try to have fun! I once did a two day show in Florida where at LEAST 500 people looked at my work and asked me if I needed glasses. Seriously. And they all laughed hysterically like they were the first person ever to say it. Yes, I  desperately wanted to throw things at them, but instead I smiled and laughed at how ridiculous it was. Needless to say, I did not sell many paintings that weekend! :) But we packed up, went to the beach, drank a giant margarita, and ended up having a great time!
3. If you're bored, play the "shoe game".  Try to predict who will enter your booth solely (no pun intended) on the shoes they are wearing. Orthopedic shoes tend to steer clear of my booth, while strappy sandals (with or without jewels) never let me down!
How lucky are we to be doing what we love?!

No comments:

Post a Comment