I've been blogging this show since 2008 on my personal painting blog and decided 2011 is the year to have an additional blog dedicated to the art show and become a "dualing Piccolo blogger"! This second blog also gives me the opportunity to share insights and impressions from other art show "insiders"! Join me up front (and behind the scenes) as the 2011 show shapes up with fine art, occasional guest contributors, on the ground interviews and who knows what else creativity run rampant will surprise us with! Comments are open but moderated. Think before you write!


Wednesday, June 8, 2011

BREAKING NEWS for 6-8-11 - Spontaneous Installation Missile Art Stolen!

Last Known Photograph of Stolen Spontaneous Installation Artwork 

This photograph was taken yesterday, Tuesday, June 7th, by my 12 year old niece, Melissa Whaley, whom I hired for $10 to photograph the demonstrations in the park while I went to work. (The reason she photographed this item is because I also hired her to sniff out the news, not just any news, but big news.  News that would increase my readership far beyond the current 6 followers of this blog (especially since Kevin LePrince, one of the 6 followers, suggested that it might be easier for me just to call each of the 6 with the news instead of blogging it).

I described to Melissa the type of news I was looking for: "Be alert! Periodically check the middle of Marion Square, and if, for instance, a spaceship lands, I want you there, snapping pictures.  Try to interview the aliens,  but don't get discouraged if they refuse to communicate with you.  They probably don't know our language.  I realize this is all a stretch, but it's just an example of the kind of big news I'm looking for."

Well, unbeknownst to me, she took me at my word and she found a "spaceship" and took a picture of it - yes, this is the spontaneous installation art created by Steve Jordan after a great number of hours in the hot sun.  I blogged about the art in a prior post for "Day 8 - June 3, 2011".

Steve Jordan sought me out late this afternoon when I got back to the park after work and broke the news that the artwork was stolen sometime last night.  Needless to say, Steve was extremely upset, not just because the art was stolen, but also because the police didn't feel its value warranted a police report.  (As I have discussed in a prior blog post,  many times people don't understand the sensitivities of an artist, but artists understand artists, so I could easily empathize with Steve's pain and sense of loss. Although he wanted me to contact the Post and Courier with the story, my newspaper blood got the better of me and I decided to break the story.  I'm sure Steve will understand this was a business decision, not personal.

Whoever did this, PLEASE return the artwork, no questions will be asked. No charges will be pressed.  I was told later that Steve was offering a reward of $500 for any information leading to the recovery of the spontaneous art installation. While I understand that the $500 is in monopoly money, not US currency, please do not think that the choice of currency is devaluing of the missile artwork.  While monopoly money is not the same as the US Dollar, 500 is still 500.  

No comments:

Post a Comment